The King of Fighters XIII
This new episode is following the KOF XI 's story. Ash Crimson managed to absorb Chizuru Kagura and Iori Yagami's power , both are from two clans who sealed the Orochi 1 800 years ago. Kyo Kusanagi is meant to be his next target. While Elisabeth Branctorche is preparing to stop Ash, the fighters receive an invitation for a new King of Fighters tournament, and the organizer signed the letter by R.
- In This wiki we're using this shortcut for every punch special moves which use OR OR +. And so for every kick special moves which use OR OR +. Because we have three types of special attack for DM and SDM : Light, High and EX
- KOF XIII's arcade version lets you choose which button layout you want to play with. So you have the A button layout which is usually called the "Square Layout" and the B button layout called the "Line Layout". Only the layout changes, the commands remain the same
- - Forward - Tilt the stick foward/ toward your opponent. (axe-X) (f is the shortcut used in the character section)
- - Back - Tilt the stick backward/ opposite of your opponent. (axe-X) (b is the shortcut used in the character section)
- - Up - Tilt the stick up. (axe-Y)
- - Down - Tilt the stick down. (axe-Y)
- - Quarter circle forward
Tilt the stick down, then Down Foward, Then foward. This is usually used for projectiles like Terry's Power Wave.
- - Quarter circle backward
Tilt the stick down, then Down backward, Then backward.
- - Half circle forward
Tilt the stick backward, Then down backward ,Tilt the stick down, then Down Foward, Then foward.
- - Half circle backward.
Tilt the stick foward, Then down foward ,Tilt the stick down, then Down backward, Then backward.
- - Dragon punch/Shoryuken - Tilt the stick foward, then Tilt the stick down, then Down Foward, Then foward
- - Reverse Dragon punch/ Reverse Shoryuken - Tilt the stick backward, then Tilt the stick down, then Down backward, Then backward
- Charge - Tilt the stick backward, stay backward one second then tilt the stick foward
- Charge - Tilt the stick Down, stay down one second then tilt the stick up.
- Charge - Tilt the stick down backward, stay down backward one second then tilt the stick foward
- Timer : At the top of the screen between the two health bar.
It defines the round duration ( By default 60 seconds )
- Health bar : At the top of screen , the two green bars .
The health bar's value is 1000, and it is separated in 10 part of 100 each . The health bar's value is the same for every character. You lost the round if : You health bar is emplty , or if your opponent's health bar is bigger than yours.
- Guard Crash bar : The blue bar under the health bar
It decraeses each time you take a hit on guard. Once it is empty , your guard is crushed for a moment and give a great opportunity to your opponent. After the Guard crush, it come back full.
- Power Gauge : the yellow bar at the bottom
You can stock your power gauge by level. Each stock is specified by the number you can see. Your first character can stock 3 bars , the second one 4 bars and the last one 5 bars. You can see the progression of your bar and use this bar for : Guard Cancel CD, Guard Cancel AB, Desperation moves , Super Desperations Moves, and Neomax.
- Hyper Drive Gauge : The green bar at the bottom just abose the Power Gauge.
This bar increase each time you perform some moves or hit your opponent , and also when you get hit. With half of this bar you can perform a Drive Cancel , and when it is fully charged you can do two Drive cancel or activate the Hyper Drive Mode. To do the Neomax it requires that you have this bar fully charge.
- Stun Gauge: It is not present in the screen but this features is included is the game. You can see it in Practise mode. The stun value is 120 and decrease each time you get hit. At 0 you are stuned and so let your opponent have a big opportunity. EX DM. SDM, EX SDM et Neo Max do not take part of the reduction of stun.
There is four diffrents kind of jump in The King Of Fighters XIII :
It might be difficult to master the execution of each jump at the beginning. There are others methods to perform some of them. So practise and play a lot to get a good understanding of jumping.
During an evasive roll, you're invincible but attacks but Command grab can throw you .
- Rolling Foward : + or + +;
- Rolling backward: + +;
- Super evasive rolling : During a dash + +; It is like canceling your dash by the rolling, and this rolling will have a bigger range.
- Tech roll : Just before you get down , you can input + to tech roll. This will work if you don't get a knockdown attack like
Guard Cancel CD ( GCCD as abbrevation)
By pressing + during a blockstun, it is possible to cancel the blockstun by a hit which knockdown the opponent. It allows you to stop your opponent pressure and to to have an opportunity to take the match's lead. The Guard Cancel CD makes a little damage when it hits.
However the use of the Guard Cancel CD is limited by three things:
- The Guard Cancel CD cost one power gauge bar.
- You have to be on guard during a blockstun to do it otherwise, you will get a whiff stand CD which has a long startup and put you in a dangerous position
- The Guard Cancel CD isn't instantaneous. So it is possible that the Guard Cancel will not punish every move even if it comes out. And so it will put you in a bad position because of the Guard cancel CD's long recovery
You have to keep in mind that the Guard Cancel CD is a major defensive tool taht you have to understand its utilisation in order to get away from your opponent pressure, to avoid him to open you guard, or to do some cheap damage or worst to put you in Guard Crush situation. But do not you use too often as a result to be out of power stock and also because a predictable Guard Cancel CD can be punish.
Guard Cancel AB (GCAB as abbrevation)
By pressing A+B or Back A+B, it possible to cancel the blockstun by an evasive rolling (foward or backward). This rolling is fulling invincible against special moves , throw and command throw, and it has no recovery. It is a good defensive tool and a great particularity in the KOF series. A good understanding of the gameplay will help you to use it. By exemple many combo string are safe but could become useless by using a Guard Cancel AB. Here are the Guard Cancel 's cons:
- This cost one power bar stock
- IF the Guard Cancel is not done at the right moment , it could result to be a waste of power bar and it could but you again in a bad situation or keep you under your opponent pressure. Keep in mind that a predictable Guard Cancel AB could be punish.
- You have to be in guard and press AB during the Blockstun , otherwise you could do a evasive rolling which be punish , or a stand/crouch A.
In KOF XII you can throw when you are next your opponent by 2 ways :
- ← ou → + C ; This throws your opponent in front of you
- ← ou → + D ; This throws your opponent in your back
Damage : about 100 points
To tech the throw, you must be in a standing position
/!\ You can tech if you were in a crouching position before the throw attempt. Once grab you can't escape the throw.
Some characters have an air throw which will be listed in their move List.
/!\You can't tech from an air throw, so you'll get the full damage of it.
EX Special Attacks
This is a new feature that comes in this episode : EX Special Attack. This turns Desperation Moves and Super Desperation Moves in EX Attack. Ex Attacks have new properties ( Startup, Hit Boxes, Damage. etc... )
An EX Special Attack requires one stock of power bar in addition to the required amount of power bar
To do an Ex Special Attack you must perform the move and press both Punch buttons ( A and C )or Kick Buttons ( B and D ) at the same time.
By example :
A dragon punch motion is : → ↓ ↘ + A
An EX Dragon punch is : → ↓ ↘ + A+C
/!\ Note that all special moves have an EX version. You can see in each characters movelist which special has an EX Version.
Desperation Moves (DM)
Sometines called "Special Attacks" , those moves require a particular command. Some of them can be cancel by an another by using the Drive Cancel system or by a Super Desperation Move (SDM).
*Andy Bogard's Hishouken's command is : ↓ ↙ ← + A or C
DM do not use any ressources, unless you perform a Ex version of it which will cost one power bar. For further details on each DM you can check your character movelist
Super Desperation Move (SDM)
Sometimes called "Super", SDM are attack that require a particular command and some power bar. You can also perform some EX SDM which will cost one power bar in addition to the one used to do the SDM. When you are in HD Mode some SDM are cancelable by the MAX ( MAX CANCEL) For more details about SDM, you can check your character movelist.
This is your character's ultimate attack. To execute it , the Neomax you to have :
- 3 power bar in stock
- Have 100% of your drive bar or to active the Hyper Drive Mode ( which requires to have 100% of Drive bar )
If you do the Neomax during the Hyper Drive Mode , this will end the Hyper Drive Mode.
Some attacks are "cancel-able" by another without any additionnal ressource. This means that, if you're doing it with the right timing, the animation of your attack will cancel to follow with the other attack that you want. This will help you to do some damaging combos. If a move is "cancel-able" it will be listed in the movelist. The best way to understand this is for you test it.
Now you will talk about specifics cancel that are in the game and that require some conditions.
- Drive Cancel : It requires to have a minimum of half the Drive bar. It allows you to cancel a Desperation Move to another. A "Drive Cancel" will be showed under you life bar when you succeeded to do one.
Here are the Drive cancel condition :
- A drive Cancel can not be done if your opponent is in guard. This means that if you do a special attack in your opponent guard , you can't Drive Cancel it. So be careful
- All DM are not Drive cancel-able , so check your character movelist
- You can drive cancel a DM by another one which is normally not Drive cancel. If one DM is drive cancel able to can cancel it with any other DM
- You can not Drive cancel a DM by the same one. if you want to do so, you have to cancel it by its EX version.
- Super Cancel: A Super Cance requires half of the Drive bar and allows you to cancel a DM to a SDM, so you have to keep in mind have many power you need to perform it.A "Super Cancel" will be showed under you life bar when you succeeded to do one.
- Hyper Drive Cancel: When you activate this mode you cancel do several Drive Cancel and Super Cancel too. It requires you too have 100% of Drive bar and to active it , you have to press B and C together. In Hyper Drive Mode you will see the Drive bar decreasing. Each time you'll perform a Drive Cancel it will decrease faster , and performing a Super Cancel will decrease it even faster than a Drive Cancel. Doing a Super Cancel during the Hyper Drive Mode will cost a Power bar and will accelerate the decrease of the Drive Bar. At the end of the Hyper Drive Mode you will have no Drive left , so it means you won't be able to perform any Drive or Super until you charge it again.
- MAX Cancel : This can be done only during the Hyper Drive Mode. It allows you do cancel a SDM or EX SDM to the Neomax. This will end the Hyper Drive mode if you do it. A "Drive Cancel" will be showed under you life bar when you succeeded to do it. IT requires you be in Hyper Mode and to have 3 power bar left in stock after the execution of the SDM or EX SDM.
To access the training mode, you have to maintain a button ( A B C or D any of this button ) and press start while maintaining the button. Then you 'll access the training mode which is generaly a 7 min training ( this can be change by the owner. 3 possible choices : 5,7 and 10 min ) You will choose one character and the opponent. In training mode if you press start you'll get a menu to configure your opponent status ( stand , jump, crouch, move, attacks ... ) So you can set to have real match condition to test whatever you want.
It is possible to play with some OST from old KOF series. To have this features , you have to be the challenger and you will have to maintain the START Button after the team order selection screen until the "Ready GO". The BGM will depend on the first character of the challenger's team
List of Hidden BGM :
Ash : Joker (KOF XI)
Elisabeth Team : Queen (KOF XI)
Japan Team : Esaka (KOF '96)
Fatal Fury Team : Street Dancer (KOF XI)
Psycho Soldier Team : Pure - At Good Old Days (KOF XI)
Ikari Team : Smell of Gunpowder (KOF XI)
Women Fighters Team : I'm Hot For You (KOF 2003)
Yagami Team : Stormy Saxophone (KOF '95)
Art of Fighting Team : After A Long Absence (KOF XI)
Kim Team : Seoul Road (KOF '96)
K' Team : KDD-0075 (KOF XI)
For every character , you have 10 different color outfit. But some characters have 10 more additionals color/outfit. To select them after the choice of your character by pressing A B C or D , you can choose one of the 10 colors that the game propose you , but if your character has an alternative outfit, you can press start and select 10 news color ( you can press start to come back to the original outfit ), then press a button to validate your choice.
Some tournaments ( especially in japan ) has a special rule which is called Ratio Tournament. We attribute some points to the characters depending on their place in the Tier List. Then you have to compose a team which has a limit ot total of points. In KOF XIII the total points allowed is 4. this means that the sum of each character's point of your team must be egal or under 4. Here is the list of character by their respectives points:
* 4 - K’, Raiden * 3 - Andy, Shen, Kyo, Iori, Kula, Elisabeth, Takuma * 2 - Leona, Ash, Benimaru, Yuri, Kim, Duolon, Chin * 1 - Goro, Terry, Kensou, Mature, Maxima, Joe, Robert, King, Hwa, Ralf * 0 - Mai, Athena, Clark, Ryo, Vice
This list follow the actual Arcade tier list , and could be changed at any moment
Rickyo's team K' Kyo Kula is not a Ratio Team because K costs 4 points, Kyo and Kula 3 pts .So he got a 10 points team and he should change his team.
But Laurent's one : Ryo Kula and Terry is a good Ratio team.
Fatal Fury Team
Psycho Soldier Team
Women Fighters Team
Art of Fighting Team